Sunday, September 8, 2019

Fun Bible Games for Littles

This Sunday, our church played a lot of games. We planned an outdoor worship service and a picnic. (You can find our songbook at https://jesusetlesenfants.blogspot.com/2019/09/campfire-song-book.html). During the worship service, we sang and we played games. Here are a few games that we loved!


Photo Credit: Flickr User Tina D, "Lamb Plushie 2"

Find the Lost Sheep

Before the kids arrived, I hid a fluffy lamb stuffed animal. We read a story that Jesus told about a lost sheep. After the story, I asked the kids to help me find the sheep. They loved it! We hid the sheep a few more times, just for fun.

Bonus: I asked a few of the littlest children if they could help take care of the lamb. They enjoyed playing with him for the rest of the service.


Jesus says...

This game works very much like "Simon Says", except with Jesus. If the leader says: "Jesus says, touch your toes." then you do it. But the leader can trick you by just saying "Touch your toes!" The kids enjoyed the movement break in the worship service.


I spy, with my little eye, something God made that is...

We read a children's book about how God created each person. (Matthew Paul Turner's "When God made you.) Then we took turns playing a version of "I spy".

"I spy, with my little eye, something God made that is green." (The trees!)
"I spy, with my little eye, something God made that is orange." (The campfire!)
"I spy, with my little eye, someone God made who has blond hair, a blue coat and pink rainboots." (One of the girls at church!)




I love that these games have a Christian message. At the same time, it is fun to play "just because"! At our church, our favourite after-church games are: 


  • Bubbles!
  • Hide-and-seek in the sanctuary. (A child who has hidden under the pews dozens of times after church is likely to see the sanctuary as a comfortable, familiar and interesting place.)
  • Quelle heure est-il M. le Loup? (What time is it Mr. Wolf?)
  • Running around outside.
  • Visiting a park near the church. 
These games are so much fun! We always ask parents' permission before any game that involves their child leaving their sight. (For example, hide and seek or playing outside.)






No comments:

Post a Comment