Monday, September 9, 2019

Birthday Books

At our church, we recently started a new tradition: Birthday Books!

It began when the church council agreed to set aside some money to buy each child a book for his or her birthday. Next, I contacted parents to ask them if they would share their child's birthday with me. I explained that the church wanted to celebrate their child's birthday by singing a special birthday song and giving the child a birthday gift of a children's Bible storybook.




I made a list of all the birthdays and set reminders in my agenda. Next, I started thinking of which book would best fit each child. I thought about a child's first language, their personality, and what books they might already have at home. Once I had chosen the books, I ordered them online so that they would be ready in time. I ordered some nice cards so that I wouldn't be running out to buy cards at the last minute.

As each child's birthday has been approaching, I have written them a card. The card wishes the child a Happy Birthday, gives a blessing from the church and shares about God's love for the child. Sometimes, the birthday card is a chance to point out spiritual gifts that I or the church have seen growing in the child. We are celebrating this child!



Why has it been working?

  • The children feel the love of their church family.
  • Each child now has at least one good-quality children's Bible storybook at home. Hopefully, this book will be a good option for some bedtime reading!
  • The whole church has a chance to celebrate and value each child.
  • Families who are new to church or on the "Messy Edges" of church have felt loved and welcome.
  • Each child hears a clear, personal message of Jesus' love.
  • There is an opportunity to identify spiritual gifts as the children grow.
  • As a pastor, this is a good way to practice "pastoral care" for the children in our church. Most families are too busy for old-fashioned visits or find them awkward. At coffee hour, the kids are often running around and I tend to be busy with many things. The birthday books and cards mean that at least once each year, I am taking time personally for each child. As I wrap the gifts and write the cards, I am praying for the children. This practice of pastoral care helps pull together all the other moments with children throughout the year.


No comments:

Post a Comment